Friday, August 3, 2012

Child Marriage

A couple of years ago, I was talking to several teenagers about how in some societies throughout the world it is acceptable for very young girls to get maried.  They both blurted out:  "But thats' their culture!"  I thought that may be true, but it does not make it right.  I believe in tradition-breaking if a tradition is wrong. Well, what about culture?  Some may ask. I say culture is always changing.  Some of the changes may be incremental.  But culture is always changing.  Why should a 12 year old girl be forced to marry a 50 year old man?  Because  "that is their culture?"  I say no.  I say it is wrong.  I say cultures that practice such things find it necessary to keep people ignorant.  They find it necessary for men  to disrespect women and children. Since traditions are man-made, they can also be unmade.  The big question is: How?  A good start is for individuals to start rejecting such things.  After rejecting such things, something better must be put in place.  I know......easier said than done.   But it is not impossible.



No comments: