Saturday, September 1, 2012

Life Is What You Make It

I don't remember his name.  He was shining my shoes.  It was a shoe shine stand by Fourth and Broadway, just south of a night club called The King's Club, in Downtown San Diego.  Man, was he ever a bright man.  He was the "philosopher of the street."  He was a black man with a tremendous sense of humor.  Actually, I had no business having my shoes shined by someone who probably was earning more money than I was at the time. Nevertheless, I guess I was paying to hear some lessons given by the philosopher.  One time we were talking and he said something that has been ringing true for the 51 years since I heard it.  To me it was like gold.  It was truly inspirational and motivational.  It was like everything else made little sense.   I can truly say I think about it practically every day.  He simply said:  "Life is what you make it."

No comments: