Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ariel Castro

On August 1, 2013, Ariel Castro was sentenced to life in prison plus 1,000 years after pleading guilty to 937 counts, including kidnapping and rape.  He pleaded guilty to avoid the death penalty.  His words to the judge:  "I'm not a monster.  I'm sick."
On Tuesday, September 3rd, Castro was found in his cell, hanging from a bedsheet.  He had committed suicide.  It was a choice that he made.  He probably could not envision spending the rest of his life in prison.  Particularly for the crimes he had committed.  This type of criminal is not usually respected by other convicts.  I am thinking he knew his life would be miserable.  Maybe he thought he could be sent to a mental institution where he could be on "permanent vacation."  I don't know.  On the other hand, had he been a "cop killer," he may have been considered a "hero" by the other convicts.  I can only speculate.  Lastly, the Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio, Christine Link, called for a "full investigation."  My question:  What for?  I am not a cold-blooded person.  There was hope for Castro.  Jesus said:  "Come unto me all you that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly at heart and you shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  (Matt. 11:28)  On the other hand, the yoke that Satan puts on people is not at all easy, and his burden is heavy, heavy, heavy.  The future of Ariel Castro is now in God's hands.

No comments: