Friday, March 28, 2014

The Greatest Lawyer

I am not an expert on law. Far from it. In the quote below, a very famous man calls a lawyer a "peacemaker." How interesting. Perhaps the statement he made does not qualify him to be the greatest lawyer. I understand. Nevertheless, because of the quote below, I am calling Abraham Lincoln the greatest lawyer. Since I already consider him the greatest President, I might as well add the other title as well. I just get the impression that he wanted to help people. He certainly did that. "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser - in fees, expenses, and waste of time. As a peacemaker the lawyer has a superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough." Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) 16th US President Source: The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, "Notes for a Law Lecture" (July 1, 1850?), p. 81.

No comments: