Tuesday, August 4, 2009

So Who Takes Out The Trash?

I think most of us have been in this situation. You have roommates who like to leave messes. So who cleans the mess? At work, a trash can is brimming with trash. Who empties it? Who drinks coffee? Who makes the coffee? Who cleans the coffee area? The employee's lounge is a mess. Cutbacks have eliminated the custodian's job. Who cleans the lounge? Ideally, everyone pitches in. What if someone in the office is highly educated? "I didn't get my Master's to be someone's maid." Does cooperation mean anything? Does fairness mean anything? "Yes, I believe in fairness but I don't want to get my hands dirty." Basically there are 5 options:
(1) take turns (2) set up a system/protocol, and guide yourself by it. (3) let the same person do it all the time. "He likes to do it anyway." (4) pay someone to do it.
(5) let the mess remain.(this, however, may not be considered an option) Communicate with one another. Work it out. Let me make a point. Have you ever visited a convalescent home? People are hired to do things for others who cannot do those tasks for themselves. Basically; when something needs to be done; and one can't or won't do it himself; then one usually pays someone else to do it.

No comments: