Monday, September 14, 2009

What Serena Williams Should Have Said

Serena Williams is one of the greatest female tennis players in the world. She has proven it time and again. But recently at the US Open she really lost her composure. She yelled obscenities at the line judge. She used the "f" word. When asked to repeat what she had said she was neither gracious, humble or honest. She should have apologized to the whole world for her rude behavior. She should have said the following words: "I am so sorry for conducting myself the way I did at the tennis match. I should have been more respectful. I should have told the judge that I did nothing wrong, if I did not agree with her decision. I should not have said anything intimidating to her or anyone else. I was wrong. I have no excuses. Please forgive me. I must play a higher quality brand of tennis and not place myself in that type of situation. The fans of tennis deserve better. I also apologize to all young athletes who aspire to take their talent to great levels. Please don't conduct yourself the way I did that day. Thank you."

1 comment:

verobl said...

I agree. I feel that we should be curteous and respect other in every day life. But when you're a person in the limelight it is very important that you keep composure. Sure we all make mistakes and no one is perfect and i could understand her frustration but it is no excuse to conduct herself in that matter. She should have released a statement afterward apologizing for her behavior. She owes it to her fans, the sport and herself. Self respect is very important and with behavior like that she's not showing herself that.
Veronica B.