Monday, October 25, 2010

Muslims, Christians and Freedom

I consider freedom to be a sacred right. I also believe in the importance of law and laws. I believe in the freedom of expression. I believe in the freedom of religion. I also believe in the importance of law and laws. The United States of America allows a great deal of freedom. Ironically, freedom can be the culprit that can possibly cause the demise of this great nation. Because moral parameters are so important in any society, the Islamic faith teaches them and has provision for the punishment of their violators within their faith. "Within their faith" is a key concept. As we all know: the nature of American freedom declares that in this country one can practice his/her religion, or not practice any religion. One can believe in God or not believe in God. This is freedom. As I have mentioned: I believe in freedom of expression. I believe in freedom of speech. I believe in freedom of the press. If I do not believe in the teachings of Islam; do I have the right to criticize them? If I do not believe in the teachings of Christianity; do I have the right to criticize them? Yes.....to both questions. At least if you live in America. By His critics: Jesus has been portrayed as a fraud, a drunk, a glutton,
a womanizer, a homosexual and much more. He has been discredited and denounced. No person has been arrested, murdered, persecuted, or caused to be a fugitive for doing such things. Is one free to discredit Mohammed? Is one free to portray him as an evil person? Yes.....to both questions. Why? Because you live in America, and America is about freedom. Just be aware of this: Human nature is such that the words we speak may cause us some unpleasant consequences (even in your own house). We need to be wise with our freedoms. But that is a whole other story.

No comments: