Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Goodbye, John Gibbs, And Thanks

John Gibbs was very special to me. I realize that we were not the closest of friends, but nevertheless, we were friends. I went to his funeral yesterday. I will not soon forget him. We played Little League together. We played high school football and baseball together. We were in the Army Reserves together. John was a talented man. He was a good baseball coach. He was a teacher at Mar Vista High School for many years. He is responsible for getting me into coaching high school baseball. He assisted me. He encouraged me. He and his dear wife, Carolyn invited me to their home for dinner one night, during a time in my life when I was really hurting. I was going through a difficult time. I was a drunk. I was desperately trying to improve my life. It is amazing what a little act of kindness can do. John offered it. What a sense of humor that man had! Once, he made me laugh so much I thought I was going to choke from it. I thought I was going to expire. He loved to discuss sports, school, students, politics and practically anything else. Sometimes I made him laugh too. I really enjoyed that. There is more to tell. I'll save it for another day. John left his mark. I am going to miss him. At times, I will think of him. He will put a smile on my face, again. Thanks, John.

No comments: