Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Chance To Be Kind

Kindness is important.  Because of it, many problems are avoided.  Conflicts are avoided.   Confusion can be avoided.  We really should make every effort to be kind.  Let us do what we can.  Help that person out. Assist, accompany, attend to, fill in, do a favor.  I remember a plane trip I was on, about 10 years ago.  We were just about to depart from Houston to San Diego.  A married couple entered the airplane.  They wanted to sit together.  There were no empty seats that were together, so they sat separately. There were three seats on my row.  I had an aisle seat, and there was one empty seat next to me.  The woman sat next to me.  I asked her: "would you like me to trade seats with your husband?"  "Of course. Would you really do that!" "Sure, no problem."  They were both elated.  They both thanked me.  What I did was very little, but it was sure appreciated.  Their satisfaction was my reward.  This happened during late November.  A man watched what I did.  He said:  "The Christmas spirit is already here and it is still November."  Like I said, I do not consider what I did a big deal.  I am no hero.  It was just a chance to be kind.

"Constant kindness can accomplish much.  As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust and hostility to evaporate."
Albert Schweitzer   (1875-1975)

No comments: