Friday, April 18, 2014

Jesus And Lazarus (Part 1)

It is the Easter season, and yes, I know that it is commercialized...Easter bunny, etc. And, maybe the resurrection of Jesus Christ did not take place in the Spring. That is beside the point. Believers of the Word of God are not celebrating a particular day. We are celebrating an event. Our focus here is on the story of Lazarus. It is told to us in the eleventh chapter of John's Gospel. Any resurrection that ever took, or will take place, is the result of the work and the power of Jesus Christ. Jesus said: "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live." (John 11:25) Jesus is the Son of God. He is also the Son of Man. This means he is 100% God, and 100% man. Lazarus had been dead four days. The Bible says Jesus loved Lazarus, and his two sisters, Mary and Martha. The shortest verse in the Bible is: "Jesus wept." It is powerful and is found in the Gospel of John 11:35. Why did Jesus weep? Because He loved His friend, and also because He was moved by those around Him who were grieving. I will keep my words short. Jesus grieved for His friend. He grieved as a man, but He was not just any man. He is the perfect man. There is no other like Him. But that is not all. He also loved and loves like God, because He is God. There is only one Lord. Before His incarnation, and when His saving name was still secret, He declared in Isaiah 42:8....."I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images." There was doubt in the house of Lazarus.

No comments: