Monday, May 23, 2016

Another Letter I Wrote

This was my response when I read about a college president who was forbidding certain types of political expressions on the campus of the school. The letter was written quite a while ago.  I do not remember the college or the specific political expression.  In some ways, I guess it does not matter.
Freedom of expression must be preserved ........for the left AND the right.

 I just want to say that freedom is a "tough customer." Particularly freedom of speech and of the press.  It must be watched, nurtured, and allowed to flourish. Especially because too many people in higher academic circles seem to purport to know "what is best for everyone."  Do you know what students would really like to hear?  I am convinced I know what they want.  They want the truth. They want to know the advantages and disadvantages of this or that.  Unfortunately, what I am seeing is academic tyranny and thuggery.

No comments: