Saturday, December 22, 2007

Things I do not request

Things I do not request are often offered to me. Sometimes those things sound attractive. Sometimes those things are tempting. Sometimes they sound like they might be useful. Sometimes they are alluring, sensual, forbidden and harmful. It makes sense to me that if I want something that I need to have for my well-being I should seek it, find it, and benefit from it. It is possible that I may need something that I do not know that I need. Bearing in mind that I live in a very prosperous nation, whose economic success is predicated on the notion that needs must be met and needs must also be created. For a person/consumer living in this great land, two basic economic needs must be created and satisfied 1) the need for a service 2) the need for a good/product. Eight factors drive our decision to buy or not to buy a good or service: (1)Gender (2)Age (3) Culture (4) Need (5) Desire to buy (6) Ability to buy (7) Taste (8) My moral standard. The reason #8 is a factor is because we are constantly confronted by four economies. As long as the "natural man" exists, there will always be four economies. The four economies are the legal, the illegal, the moral, and the immoral. Of course there is much to explain regarding each economy. It will be dealt with in another entry. I will conclude by stating that not all buying and selling of goods and services that are legal are necessarily moral, and not all buying and selling of goods and services that are moral are necessarily legal. Who defines morality? Only the creator of it. It is not you. It is not me.

No comments: