Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Be A Glancer

I am a retired junior high school teacher, and currently chaplain of a jail. Through the years I have seen many people get upset, and be involved in violence as a result of someone staring at someone else. Inmates in jail do a great deal of staring. It is a form of communication. It is also bad manners. Staring is not illegal, however it could possibly constitute harassment in a given situation. Generally speaking, as I have already stated, it is bad manners. For reasons that I will not discuss at this time, I am persuaded that our society is becoming more and more a group of staring people. This is not good news, however for me, it is good news. It is good news if I have time to deal with it. Let me explain: I believe in the great commission. The great commission is: "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved: but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs shall follow those who believe: in My name they will cast out demons: they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick and they will recover." (Mark 16:15,16,17,18) I have a human spirit. It is faulty. It is weak. It is human. But I also have another spirit within me. It is not a spirit of fear. It is a spirit of power, love and a sound mind. It is the gift of the Holy Spirit. It causes me to consider a stare as an open invitation to tell someone about Jesus. It causes me to have a burden for those who do not know the Word of God. It causes me to consider a stare as a plea for help. The great commission is replete with good news. People are hungry for it's benefits. Sometimes people stare because they are angry, or maybe they are looking for trouble. I am angry too. I am a troublemaker too. I am angry at the devil. I am making trouble for him. I plan to make more. "No weapon that is formed against me shall prosper." (Isa.54:17) Jesus came "to destroy the works of the devil," and I want to help Him accomplish it. Jesus said: "Watch and pray." Be a glancer. Don't stare, but be aware. Be a glancer. Utilize the GAT method. The GAT method is: Glance, Approach, Testify. Get yourself ready. Repent, be baptized in Jesus' name, be filled with the Holy Ghost. Who can stop you? Your "glancing will turn into dancing." Give your life to Jesus. Can anything be more important? God bless you.

No comments: