Monday, October 27, 2008

Give Someone a Present

I am not suggesting this because we are approaching the holidays. Give someone a present. I am suggesting it because it is a great idea. About 5 years ago, in San Marcos, I was filling the gas tank of a van I no longer own. It was late at night, and I had all of the family in the van. As I was doing it, a young man approached me and gave me ten dollars. He left immediately. I was shocked but I thanked him. I have no idea why he did it. Although surprised, I felt blessed. It felt good, to receive a gift so spontaneously. I realize that taking gifts from strangers can, at times, be risky. Many teach their children to never accept a gift from a stranger. It is a good idea. However, I am not talking about that. Nor am I suggesting that you help finance someone's addictions. Give someone you know a present. Surprise someone. Show them your appreciation. Show them that you think about them sometimes. A long time ago, I read this maxim somewhere: " I lose what I keep, I keep what I give, and when I die; the only thing I can take with me, is that which I have given." (Anon.) I know it does not sound logical or mathematically accurate. And the first time I quoted it to a friend, he told me I was sounding ridiculous. Nevertheless, to me it made a great deal of sense. And it still does. One day I surprised that particular friend with a present, you should have been there. He tried to hide his joy, but he was unable to do so. The greatest teacher that ever lived once declared: "It is more blessed to give than to receive." His word lives on.

No comments: