Friday, October 24, 2008

A Real Hero

This is a true story about an 11 year old boy. I did not know the boy. I don't remember the boy's name. I don't even remember where he lived. I just know he had his last experience of life in Southern California. I do not remember the year it happened. I am fairly sure it happened sometime between 1985 and 1993. This is a true story of a hero. This is the story as I recall it: Several families gathered together for a Thanksgiving dinner celebration. They all enjoyed their meal and dessert. They conversed, they laughed, they enjoyed each other's company. The 11 year old boy and his attractive 14 year old cousin decided to go for a walk in the neighborhood. They walked several blocks from the house. They kept walking, talking and enjoying. Suddenly, a van drove up beside them. The occupants of the vehicle focused their attention on the girl. They said things to her to attempt to entice her into the van. She paid no attention to them. She was scared. Her younger cousin was also scared. The van stopped. Two men got out and tried to physically force the girl into the van. She resisted them. She screamed. Her young cousin tried to defend her. He actually tried to fight these men off by himself, and he actually succeeded. But here lies the tragedy, cowardice, and heroism: someone in the van, (possibly a third passenger) came out with a shotgun and fired it at the boy at very close range. The boy did not have a chance, he died right there, bleeding to death on the street. The men did not stay. They fled speedily. The girl was safe. The boy was dead. As I said; I didn't know the boy. But at times, I think about him. I think about the price he was willing to pay for the safety of someone else. He is a real hero.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Beautifully written. Made me cry.

Laura