Monday, November 3, 2008

Prosperity and Prayers of Power

The United States is a prosperous nation. There is freedom in this nation. There are opportunities in this nation. There is wealth in this nation. There are opportunities to study, learn, work and thrive. The opportunity to succeed is available. So what is the problem? The problem is this: Prosperity does not come easy. One must work. Not all can get government jobs. Not all can get a job with decent hours, health benefits and vacations. But jobs are available. I repeat: one must work. The greatness of this nation was not accomplished by the feeble efforts of lazy people. Other nations have hard working people. many people work very hard just to stay alive. Other nations have greater natural resources than are found in the United States. I believe that the greatest product that the United States has is freedom. Freedom is a double-edged sword. The freedom to be creative is available. The freedom to pursue your dreams is available. Freedom has allowed men and women to study, experiment, research, discover, invent, innovate and improve the quality of life. Nevertheless, freedom has also produced a dark, ugly side. The side that claims: "I can do anything I want, inject anything I want, drink anything I want, smoke or ingest anything I want, sleep wherever I want, have sex with anyone I want, and have any lifestyle I want." Due to the fact that for every action there is a reaction, we face a dilemma brought about by prosperity and freedom. I am talking about consequences. Prosperity is not an entitlement in the greatest country in the world. Here lies the question: Am I entitled to the benefits of prosperity if I have not contributed in any way, shape or form toward having prosperity be a reality? Freedom has also produced the opportunity to worship as one pleases, and prayer is a contribution. The opportunity to have faith in God still exists in this country. I will finish this discourse with eight questions. What if we are taught the Word of God that says; if I pray, my prayers will be answered? What if we pray with faith and power? What if we pray for the prosperity of this nation and our prayers are answered? When people from other nations see prosperity and opportunity; will many want to come here? If they do come; will they also pray with power? Will the freedom to teach them be available? Will they be given the opportunity to say yes or no? Will they substitute a demand for entitlement in the place of prayers of power?

No comments: