Monday, October 26, 2009

Whiners and Winners

During the month of September I wrote a blog entitled: "Transfer the Passion." I would like to approach the theme from a different perspective. I submit to you that it is all about attitude. Part of the responsibility of a high school football coach is to decide whether or not it is worth it to keep a certain player even if he has a poor attitude. The big question continues to be: "Can we win games with this guy on the team, can he help us win games?" It is about team. It is about attitude. I remember a great athlete. I grew up with him. He had all the tools. He was outstanding in every sport that he played. I was standing next to him when his little league coach was scolding him for his poor attitude. He ended up quitting the team. I was saddened by his decision. I guess I was too young to understand that it was too hard for him to control; not necessarily his temper.....but his attitude. If one cannot control his cockiness, arrogance, elitest thinking, feelings of superiority; then he cannot control an attitude that is detrimental to the team. I suppose it is akin to the need to control your temper. It hurts; but he will have to go. I understand that not all coaches will agree with me. I think I can understand that. The main goal of a team is to have a winning season. If a coach can be instrumental in changing a player's attitude; then more power to him. I have seen coaches kick players off of a team and then regret what they did. I have seen players humble themselves and ask to be admitted back. This is a tough call for a coach sometimes. Sometimes it is not. It is all about attitude. Of course this also includes the attitude of the coach. Can a coach give a kid enough breathing room so that they both don't lose face? Does the coach have enough integrity, compassion and wisdom to be able to discern what to do in these situations? Does that young player love football enough to change his attitude? Does he love winning enough to change his attitude? One of the jobs of a high school football coach is to turn a whiner into a winner. And the coach needs to know whether or not it is worth the effort.

No comments: