Friday, October 12, 2012

Jerry Sandusky: 45 Counts of Sexual Abuse

Jerry Sandusky is almost 70 years of age.  He has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for  crimes he has committed against male children.  He will very likely die in prison.  He has denied the charges.  His wife is also in denial.  My question is : Why the denial?  Why are they defiant? Why do they blame others?  I suspect because the truth is too difficult for them to bear.  Everbody makes mistakes.  Some mistakes just have more serious repercussions. I firmly believe that denying what he did is actually more serious than what he did.  Denial is an attempt to heal.  It is a foolish attempt.  Denial is an attempt to undo what he did.  What he did cannot be undone.  He did it.  So where does he go from here?   He goes to Psalm 51.  He reads it.  He then rereads it.  He prays to God and asks for forgiveness.   He repents.  He humbles himself.  He admits his guilt.  He contacts the media and says the following words :

 " I admit that what I did was wrong. I am terribly sorry for the harm that I have caused.  To the young men and all  connected to them; please know that I regret harming you.  If you can find it within you; please forgive me. I admit that I have done some terrible things.  I ask that you do your best to heal and to recover from the abuses you have suffered.  I realize we cannot be friends, nevertheless, again, I ask that you forgive me.  Please do not hate me.  I will spend the rest of my life in prison.  I deserve it.  Please know that I will dedicate the rest of my life to the study of God's Word and prayer.  God has forgiven me.  I have hope.  I have stated before that I have a broken heart.  Now I know what to do with it.  I realize that the Word of God is God.  I realize that the Word became flesh.  I realize that the man (flesh) has a name that is above every name. That name has power.  In that name, demons are cast out.  Now I can really know God. I want to get to know Him better every day.  He loves me."
 "A broken and contrite heart, He will not despise."
(Ps. 51:17)

No comments: