Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Cinco De Mayo? Not For Me

I Know "Cinco de Mayo is over for this year. Even though I am Hispanic I do not care for that holiday. I am an American citizen and a veteran. I do not celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It is a drinking day, and I don't drink. There is nothing for me to celebrate. It is foolish to “force pride” young people into celebrating a holiday that they are not connected to. They are more connected to the 4th of July, Veterans Day and Memorial Day. If we truly purport to be a “color blind” society, let us embrace the American holidays. The 5th of May is nothing to celebrate unless it is your birthday, wedding anniversary, or some other meaningful event. I do not care about the “Battle of Puebla.” It is a poor attempt to give a certain group of people pride. What a waste of time. What a shame. It is not a waste of time for the liquor industry, however. Even President Obama acknowledged this fact. He spoke of the great “margaritas.” Liquor outlets should publish their sales for that weekend and compare it to other weekends. Police departments should publish the number of DUI arrests, and other liquor related crimes for the past week as well. One last thing. Teaching young people to be proud is not a good thing. Teaching them to be kind, considerate, forgiving, respectful, responsible, hard working and grateful is much better.

No comments: