Saturday, March 14, 2015

The Awana Games

Awana is a Christian youth organization. It meets once a week at a selected church, where parents bring their children to be taught the Word of God and engage in different sports and recreational activities. They celebrate the "Awana Games" once a year. I had the privilege of attending the Awana Games today. I saw hundreds of children between the ages of five and ten participate in this joyful, athletic and competitive sports activity which was held at Shadow Mountain Church in El Cajon, California. It was so tremendous! I will never forget this fun-filled function on this St. Patricks day weekend. The one thing that is foremost in my mind is the spirit of the event. Yes, the spirit, the atmosphere. I greeted many friendly people. I witnessed no arguments, or angry, bitter, drunk, loaded or belligerent people. I saw no beer stands. I smelled no marijuana. I have no doubt that many present have participated in the aforementioned. However, their attendance to this event indicates that they have decided to make choices that are better and more fulfilling for themselves and their families. I will not hesitate to declare why this event was so special. The reason it was, and will continue to be in the future is because this function honored Jesus Christ. This creates a "no lose" proposition. With Jesus you can only win. He is the greatest gift to the human race. With no pun intended.......He is also the greatest gift to the children's competitive races I witnessed today. Praise the name of Jesus!

No comments: