Saturday, July 18, 2009

Abraham Lincoln's Creed

"I believe in God, the Almighty Ruler of nations, our great and merciful Maker, our Father in heaven, who notes the fall of a sparrow and numbers the hairs on our heads. I recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures and proved by all history that those nations are blessed whose God is the Lord. I believe that the will of God prevails. Without him, all human reliance is vain. With that assistance I cannot fail. I have a solemn vow registered in heaven to finish the work I am in, in full view of my responsibility to God, with malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right , as God gives me to see the right." Abraham Lincoln

Recently I heard a US History professor, who is also an author, declare that Abraham Lincoln was an atheist. He made this claim in a lecture with over 300 participants. I found it necessary to present a disclaimer; so I did. RD

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you have a chance to talk to the professor and ask him why he believed Abraham Lincoln was an Atheist? I know I have heard and read that many historians believed Lincoln was a Deist as he believed in god, but not organized religion or Faith.

Feel free to email me anytime. sdguy67@gmail.com

Your Friend, Jake

Bobby said...

Jake, thanks for asking that question. As a matter of fact, I did have a chance to talk to the prof. I asked him: "If he was an atheist; why did he quote so much scripture and make so many
references to God? He said:"Because
it was politically expedient." I say: No way! But I will explain myself more fully in another blog entry. Thanks. Your Friend Bob