Saturday, May 5, 2012

I Don't Celebrate Cinco de Mayo

I may go to a park and possibly look around. Maybe I'll get a snack, but I do not celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It is irrelevant to me. I suppose the purpose of this holiday is to celebrate Mexican Culture and some of its' traditions. It is also to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory at the "Battle of Puebla" over French forces on May 5th, 1862. This is unimportant to me. I apologize to nobody for my point of view. Experience tells me that there is no need to celebrate this holiday. At least for me. The police will be very busy this weekend. There will be many parties. There will be many arrests. People will get drunk. People will get DUIs. I really hope I am wrong. But I feel that Cinco de Mayo is an excuse for people to drink. Why don't you check out the ads and the commercials. They are liquor oriented. I actually saw one ad that encouraged people to go to a certain bar to "nurse the hangover" that they will have this weekend. Liquor is not good for you. Nevertheless, to many, it represents family gatherings, fun, pleasure and laughter. Unfortunately, to many it is also connected to tragedy, sickness, family disruption, violence and death. I don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo. I never will. I already have a party going on in my heart. I celebrate other holidays. But that is another story.

No comments: