Monday, July 22, 2013

4 Quotes About The Jury System


I have been called for jury duty about 8 times in my life.  I have never been selected.  This is okay with me.  On several occasions I have told the courts that I am Chaplain of the San Dieg County Jail, and it may be that I know the defendant,  and that it may constitute a conflict of interest.  I think I would like to serve on a jury at least once for the experience.  If it never happens I am okay with it because I am a busy person.  I have a great deal of respect for the jury system.  To me, it demonstrates a certain purity of the court system.  It represents fairness and justice for the accused.  It represents to me that a system exists whereby those making the final decision have no real vested interest except that justice be served.  Many before me have felt the same way.  Some have gone so far as to say that one of the reasons that we have a great nation, is because of the jury system.  I realize it is not flawless........but it is fair.         BD

"Since it was first recognized in the Magna Carta, trial by jury has been a prized shield against oppression ...."       U.S. Supreme Court           Glasser v. United States, 315 U.S. 60, 84 (1942)

“We operate under a jury system in this country, and as much as we complain about it, we have to admit that we know of no better system, except possibly flipping a coin.” Dave Barry quotes (American Writer and Humorist best known for his weekly newspaper column. b.1947)

“I'm no idealist to believe firmly in the integrity of our courts and in the jury system -- that is no ideal to me, it is a living, working reality. Gentlemen, a court is no better than each man of you sitting before me on this jury. A court is only as sound as its jury, and a jury is only as sound as the men who make it up.”
Harper Lee quotes (American writer b.1926)

“We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world; and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men every day who don't know anything and can't read”
Mark Twain quotes (American Humorist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)




No comments: