Friday, July 5, 2013

4th Of July, 2013

As I reflect, I think about the beautiful time I had yesterday, with friends and family.  Barbecue, salads, cold drinks and great desserts, great company and a fun time.  Among many songs I heard, were "America The Beautiful," (Ray Charles)  "Stars and Stripes Forever,"  (US Marine Corps Marching Band) and "Proud To Be An American," (Lee Greenwood).  I felt good today.  I have several   reasons for feeling good.  Yesterday, I ran into an old friend who happens to be a Viet Nam veteran.  He was so happy to see me, he embraced me in the bank where he and his wife were doing business.  We had a great conversation.  Later on in the day, I went to minister at the South Bay Detention Facility, (San Diego County Jail) where I am the Chaplain.  God blessed me and those with whom I shared the Gospel.  In the early evening, I accompanied my wife Sandy and my cousin Corrine to help feed the homeless in Downtown San Diego.  It is a major undertaking, and it requires planning, preparation, volunteers and a great deal of patience.  My responsibility is to share the Word of God while they are in line for their food.  I preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I do not preach religion.  I do not preach about organizations, denominations, institutions or corporations.  I preach about Jesus.  I preach about His love toward us, hope for us, power for us, a new life for us and the great possibilities for a beautiful future here on earth and in glory later.  I do not tell lies.  Jesus Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.  He is God.  His name was not known until the great event in Bethlehem.  Jacob wrestled with the Angel of the Lord all night long.  Jacob asked Him for His name, He did not tell him.  The father of Samson (Manoah) asked Him what His name was, God told him it was a secret.  The beauty and the joy of all of this now is.......God's name is not a secret.  God's name is Jesus.  It is the highest name in heaven and earth.  I could go on and on, but I will finish my words for now.  A few last things..........freedom.  Nobody stopped me from preaching the Word.  Jesus is the "Word made flesh."  Do you think the name of Jesus is powerful?  "In my name you shall cast out demons."  I love Jesus.  He represents freedom to me.  Freedom is always in style......not just on the 4th of July.  Blessings to you!

No comments: