Thursday, November 21, 2013

My Letter To The Washington Post About Lincoln

Today, I wrote a letter to the Washington Post in reference to an article written on Tuesday November 19, 2013, the day of the 150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address.  It was entitled:  "The Road To America Leads Through Gettysburg."  It was written by Nancy F. Koehn.  She gave honor to the speech delivered by Lincoln 150 years ago.  So do I.  I honor the memory of Abraham Lincoln because I consider him the greatest President this country has ever had.  There is a reason for this, and the reason is stated in my letter to the Washington Post, below:

I am convinced that the Gettysburg Address is one of the greatest speeches ever made by anybody.  However, I would also like to emphasize the fact that Abraham Lincoln was a great orator without having much formal education.  Every speech he ever made contained a reference to God or a quote from the Bible. The letters he wrote to friends and colleagues contained the quotes and references as well.  Simply stated: he was a "Bible man."  I am convinced that this is what made him wise, patient, kind and with a great sense of humor.  Lincoln was "full of the Word."  During his early childhood, it was the only book (s) to which he had access.  He learned to read from the Bible.  Yes......he was a "Bible man,"  and that is what made him great..... in more ways than one.       Robert Dominguez

No comments: