Monday, November 25, 2013

Poem In November: By Lucas Dominguez

The following poem was written by Lucas Dominguez in the month of November of 1994 when he was in the 8th grade at Bonita Vista Middle School.  It is entitled: "What I Am Thankful For."  There is irony in this poem, it is in the last line.  "But the thing I'm most thankful for is that I'm alive."  On Thanksgiving Day, November 24th, 1994, Lucas was in a terrible automobile accident, while with his family, about 90 miles from Phoenix, Arizona.  I too, was in the van.  It was demolished.  It landed on top of Lucas.  This poem was written about one week before the accident took place.

What I Am Thankful For
By Lucas Dominguez
Grade 8

"Christmas comes just once a year, it is a time for joy and cheer.
Some have little, but I have much: I have legs that walk and hands that touch;
I have a bed to sleep in and clothes to wear; I have food on my table and even some to spare.
I'm not deathly ill and I am not in pain; I can walk around without a cane.
I have eyes to see and a nose to smell; I have ears that hear, a mouth that tells.
I have shoes and clothes and toys and hats; I have pencils and pens and baseball bats.
I've travelled to places many miles away, and I thank the Lord for another day.
I have a house to live in and a car to drive, But the thing I'm most thankful for is that I'm alive."

No comments: