Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Vices Are Not Crimes?

"Vices are not crimes," is a quote by Lysander Spooner.  Spooner was a political theorist, activist and abolitionist. He was outspoken during the American Civil War.  There is a problem with semantics here.  Vices cause crimes.  And yes, I truly believe in freedom.  Are vices crimes?  What if your "vice" is touching little girls inappropriately.  What if your "vice" is that you have an obsessive desire to steal, so you steal.  What if your "vice" is that you like to drive a vehicle while you are drunk?  How does one differentiate between a vice and a bad habit that also happens to be against the law.  What if my "vice" truly harms others?  Oddly enough, I might find myself agreeing with Mr. Spooner, if I were able to understand his context.


No comments: