Friday, February 1, 2013

My Letter To The SDUT On 2/1/13

Today, I wrote a letter to the San Diego Union Tribune because of a huge beer ad that took up the whole page of the newspaper. It was impossible for the ad to have been bigger.  I was annoyed.  I let them know how I felt.

 U-T NCT


I saw the gigantic ad this morning on page B3 of your newspaper and I was disappointed. You are not doing your part to curb alcoholism in our fair city. To advertise a product is indeed part of business. Why is this particular ad so huge? Do you realize the amount of DUIs, death, destruction, broken homes and heartbreak that beer and other liquors cause? Police departments throughout the county set up check points to determine if someone has had even one drink. Your ad does not represent freedom to me. It represents hypocrisy. You know the dangers of liquor. You report the consequences/tragedies. An ad that size is expensive. Did Greg Koch get it free? If so, why? Beer is not the "best thing" of any county, or any section of any county. Beer causes alcoholism. Young people see those ads. It is the biggest ad possible on one side of a page. What a shame. Please think about it.

Robert Dominguez

Chula Vista

No comments: