Thursday, February 7, 2013

War Is Cruelty

I am not defending war.  War is one of the most terrible things that the human race has ever experienced.  There  have been attempts to define and/or  describe or measure  the loss, damage, harm, destruction and heartbreak that it has caused. But they have fallen short. I could say that there is no need for war.  Or I could say  that it must be avoided at all costs.  But I suspect that I would be wrong.  I don't like war.  I don't love war.  However, I avoid calling it an evil thing.  It might be.  It might be considered evil or wicked........perhaps that contributes to its' fascination by many.  War destroys life and property. Because of that, the victors in war are considered heroes.  They receive glory.  that is, no doubt, part of the fascination with war.   It appears that all societies have their pacifists.  Pacifists have died in war.  Children have died in war.  Non-combatants have died in war.  Are wars fought for freedom?  Yes, but not always.  These days wars are generally fought for economic and political reasons.  They can be fought for greed, control and power.  Is it possible that wars can be fought for religious reasons?  Of course, but I will need to elaborate on that in another blog.  The sad thing about war is that it is not going away.  Sometimes I talk to people who tell me that they hate war, and that they will never support it.  They think that they are for peace.  But in their own world, they hate others. They are stubborn.  They refuse to talk to certain relatives, and at times they are troublemakers.  They tell me that they are for peace.   Well.....maybe they are.  I won't judge them.  Oddly enough, one of the greatest warriors to have ever walked this earth was for peace.  Yes, he was for peace.  But he could not avoid war.  Sad, but true.  He explained the situation in one short verse. 

"I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war." 
(David,  Ps. 120: 7)

Strangely enough, the two quotes below were made by two men who were heavily in support of war.  One was a battlefield General who is known for his destruction of many square miles of the South during the American Civil War.  (William T. Sherman)  The other quote was originally stated by the one who is considered the most intelligent President the United States has ever had.  He was against war in philosophy only.  (so, who isn't?)  (Thomas Jefferson)

"War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong;and multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses."   (Thomas Jefferson)

(1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President

"War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it."  (William Tecumseh Sherman)
(1820-1891) General Commander of the United States Army

No comments: