Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Longfellow Quote

I saw it for the first time when I was 12 years old.  I never forgot it.  I do not really know why it inspired me so much.  It was on an award certificate  that I received as a 7th grader at National City Junior High School. I now realize that such a saying can only be inspired by knowledge of, and exposure to books that speak of great possibilities.  Mythology is not enough.  This short quote speaks of having a proper attitude, not being lazy, having the courage to accept consequences, reaching goals, working hard, not giving up, and waiting for excellent results. I hope America's students are still exposed to it.
 Here is the quote from one of America's greatest poets......Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:

"Let us, then, be up and doing, With a heart for any fate; Still achieving, still pursuing, Learn to labor and to wait."

No comments: