Monday, April 8, 2013

Religious Liberty

My dad told me once that when he was around 9 years old, and living in Mexico, he begged his dad to take the family to the United States.  His dad, (my grandfather) did not want to do it.  Apparently, he had a successful candy business during the decade of the twenties.  The reason my dad did not want to stay in Mexico is because he was mistreated in school.  He was called names, beat up and was ordered to kiss small images of idols (saints and vrgins).  My dad's family was Protestant in a predominantly Roman Catholic country.  He got into fights.  He got into more serious trouble when he got home.  He was told not to fight.  It was hard for him.  It was stressful for him.  He told me that he thought that the stress that he experienced caused him to have health problems later on in life.  Obviously, I do not have all of the details.  Some of the things he told his oppressors were offensive to them, of course.  But how was a young boy supposed to handle this kind of mistreatment?  He didn't have the maturity or the vocabulary of an older person. So yes, he and his family suffered persecution.  They held on to their faith.  They came to the United States.  My dad loved this country.  He loved it in spite of hard times experienced here as well.  He really appreciated living in a free country.  His appreciation for freedom has influenced me.  This is probably one of the reasons I am sensitive to, and appreciative of........freedom.  I believe in religious freedom.  I embrace it.  I practice it.  "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."   (John 8:32)

 "Religious liberty is primarily a man’s liberty to profess a faith different from that of the dominant religion,
and to unite in public worship with those who share his faith."  

 Giovanni Miegge   (1900–1961) Italian Protestant theologian, professor, author

No comments: