Sunday, April 7, 2013

"Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death"...... Patrick Henry




It was a speech around 1200 words long.  It is a classic.  It was given in St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia on March 23, 1775, to The Virginia House of Burgesses, which was the original government established in the Virginia colony. It was akin to congress.  The speech was an attempt to rally the support of the Virginians for the American Revolution.   It contains 8 references to God.  I truly admire this speech.  I am not a great admirer of war.  However, I recognize it as a reality.  I do not think man is capable of ending war.  I know that sounds pessimistic.  I do think that some wars can be avoided.......and some have been.  But to think that war will end, is to be unrealistic.  It is like saying that injustice will end everywhere.

I only have the last paragraph below.  It is probably the most quoted.  I recommend you read the whole speech.

"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"




No comments: