Friday, May 3, 2013

Jason Collins "Comes Out"

Below, are two letters that I wrote to Town Hall magazine in response to an article written by conservative columnist Crystal Wright.  The article was about Jason Collins, a veteran NBA player who "came out" and declared he was gay.  Her article was entitled "Who Cares Jason Collins Is Gay?"  Well, that is my view exactly, and I do not consider it news.  Obviously, many do not agree.  I also wrote that I thought that Sports Illustrated was wrong because they made such a big deal about it, by having a feature story as well as a photo of Collins on the front cover, but that letter is not part of this entry, because yesterday I wrote a blog about the SI article.

Social justice? This has nothing to do with social justice. I do not believe in mistreating people. People should be allowed to live their lives however they want to live them. We all need to obey the laws of the land. Aside from laws, there are also moral codes given to us by God. What do we do about them? Just discard them because of a political agenda? No. And no, I am not a bigot, intolerant or a hater. I am a person who believes in the divinely inspired Word of God. I have been taught to love all people. Does this mean I need to agree with everything a person does?

 Libertarian, the sexuality of an indiviual is the business of nobody but the individual with whom that person has intimate relations, and God. God has already stated in His Word how He views homosexuality. Regarding "content of character".............the GLBT lifestyle is dishonorable. Marriage is honorable. The push we are witnessing in our society is to make "gayness' honorable. This is where the conflict exists. All persons should be respected. But not all lifestyles should automatically be admired. Is not "content of character" exemplified by actions? Well....some choices will not be deemed acceptable by many. Is this so wrong? Is not this what liberty is about, Libertarian?

No comments: