Thursday, November 8, 2012

A School District Bans Father-Daughter Dances

Two months ago, as a result of the activism of the ACLU, a school district in Cranston, Rhode Island banned all father-daughter dances.  This decision came as a result of a single mother's daughter not being allowed to attend such a dance.  The single mother complained. The ban was made.  The word "ban" and the word "freedom" are often diametrically opposed.  It is interesting to me that the word "Liberties" is part of the ACLU's title.  I suppose an argument can be made that if the girl with no father would have been allowed to go, there would have been no problem.  However, was it not a father-daughter dance?  Is it wrong to expect attendance to reflect the theme of the dance?  Apparently it is.   The father-daughter dance is a tradition.  I think some traditions are wrong.  Especially some traditions that involve hazing and rituals that are dangerous and unhealthy.  However, I do not consider a father-daughter dance a wrong tradition.  The ban should not have taken place. 
The ACLU does not stand for civil liberties. The ACLU stands for intolerance of reality. Traditions are a reality in our society. I took my son to a father-son banquet.  It was a memorable experience.  I had a chance to chat with an active NFL player. I also remember when I was in junior high school, a father-son banquet was celebrated. An acquaintance of my parents only had daughters, and he wanted to go. So, he asked my parents if he could "borrow " me to be his "son" for the evening. They said yes, and I had a great time. It was the only banquet of that type I ever attended while in school. I still remember it, even though it was 56 years ago.  What is wrong with celebrating these functions?  If one is unable to go, don't go.  Don't be jealous of someone who may.  It is also a learning experience.  Be assured, that in the future, that student, as well as all students will grow up and not be able to participate in certain things, for a variety of reasons.  It is reality.

No comments: