Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Real Dangers


I am convinced that we should be cautious about what we think, say and do.  Please do not think that I am implying that we should be nervous wrecks and worry about everything, and proceed to live our lives as we were walking on eggs.  What I suggest is not really a new idea.  "I am my own worst enemy," is not a new saying.  Do we have a soul?  Do we have a body?  Which is more valuable?  Which one will last the longest?  In short, don't hate people.  And don't expect them to be perfect.  Can you improve others?  Probably not.  Can we improve ourselves?  Of course we can.  We need to want to.  Do we have bad habits?  Vices?  They are able to destroy us.  Do not permit it.  Self-destructive conduct is not a theory.  It is a reality.  I think Victor Hugo made a good point:

"Have no fear of robbers or murderers. They are external dangers, petty dangers. We should fear ourselves. Prejudices are the real robbers; vices the real murders. The great dangers are within us. Why worry about what threatens our heads or purses? Let us think instead of what threatens our souls."

 Victor Hugo

No comments: