Thursday, November 29, 2012

Voting On Good And Evil


The laws of the land are designed to protect rights, property, and people. That is a tall order.  I am not a lawyer.  I am a layman when it comes to law.  But  I observe, remember, reflect upon, evaluate and report on things that go on around me.  I emphasize the reality that there is a great deal of imperfection all around me.  I am part of that imperfection.   Nevertheless, we try to do what is right, fair and proper.   We believe in freedom.   Who decides what is right and what is wrong?   I guess......everybody.   And everybody makes mistakes.   If I were to say to you: "God makes no mistakes."   You would probably agree with me.  If you asked me if His Word had mistakes, I would say no.  However, many who interpret His word make mistakes.  Sometimes they take bits and pieces of it and interpret it any way they want to interpret it in order to substantiate or justify some doctrine, teaching, position, idea or persuasion that they hold and want to defend.  The big question is what does something said or written really mean?  At the risk of sounding arbitrary, must everything be voted on in order to be deemed fair, just and proper?   Constitutions, by-laws, laws, guidelines, statutes, agreements, principles, charters and doctrines came about to guide people in their decisions regarding all business in society, be it public, private, and/or personal. 
What about the sacred and the secular?   What if laws are passed that are evil?  What if abortion is encouraged rather than discouraged?   What if the majority of a people, using the democratic process, are instrumental in passing a law making it legal for men to marry men and women to marry women?   The democratic process is faulty.  It always has been.  It will continue to be.  Nevertheless, I will defend the process.   So far, it is generally the best process we can find to suit our needs.
However, during the 1850's, the issue of slavery was a big question/dilemma.  The question was asked:  Should it be allowed in the new states?   Stephen Douglas proposed that the new states just vote.   "Let the people decide."   Douglas had a nemesis.  His name was Abraham Lincoln.  This is how he responded to Douglas:

 “God did not place good and evil before man telling him to make his choice. On the contrary, He did tell him there was one tree, of the fruit of which he should not eat, upon pain of certain death….I should scarcely wish so strong a prohibition against slavery in Nebraska.”   Lincoln was a "man of The Word."

My response is this: The will of the people does not necessarily make a decision right, proper, or God's will. "Popular Sovereignty"?   That is what they called it then.  Today, for our purposes, I will call it "Pop Decisions" or "Trendy Decisions."   Voting on good and evil is different than voting on whether to change the voting age from age 21 to age 18.

No comments: