Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Preface To A Lincoln Quote About Slavery


How do we determine what is right and what is wrong?  Who makes the rules?  Governments, laws, those in power?  Yes indeed.  It is a constant battle.  Right and wrong will always be with us because chaos constantly knocks.  Disorder is often clothed with the garment of curiosity.  Selfishness and mistreatment of others can usually be kept in check if the awareness, desire,  and ability to do so exists.  Abraham Lincoln is known as "The Great Emancipator."  He knew slavery was wrong.  But he also knew that it benefitted a certain group of influential citizens.  It was an economic system.  It still is in some parts of the world.  The following quote demonstrates to me, the arrogance of certain people.  Some people cannot work because they are sick.  Some people do not work because they are lazy.  This is wrong.  Sometimes it is veiled with the attitude:  "I am waiting for a certain type of work that really suits me."  I just have one question:  In the mean time, who is going to support you?   Invariably, the truthful answer is.......somebody else.  Although it may not be the answer you get.  I repeat my point.......laziness is wrong.   Reliability is right.  Being responsible for your assigned duties is right.  Being punctual is right.  Being cooperative is right.  Putting in a "good day's work" is right.  I could go on and on.  Instead, I will just quote Abraham Lincoln.

"It is the eternal struggle between these two principles - right and wrong. They are the two principles that have stood face to face from the beginning of time and will ever continue to struggle. It is the same spirit that says, "You work and toil and earn bread, and I'll eat it."

No comments: